At least 10 killed in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s Bekaa valley

At least 10 killed in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s Bekaa valley — World news | The Guardian
Source: World news | The Guardian

At least 10 people have been killed and 24 wounded, including three children, in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa valley, the Lebanese health ministry has said. Israel said it had hit "command centres" of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. Two security sources told Reuters that senior Hezbollah leader Hussein Yaghi was killed in the attacks.

Yaghi is the son of former Hezbollah MP Mohamed Yaghi, and his funeral is set to take place on Saturday, according to Hezbollah media. Local television footage from one strike showed the targeted site appearing to be an apartment building, with emergency crews firefighting and searching for survivors.

Earlier on Friday another Israeli strike hit the Ain el-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp in the port city of Sidon, killing two people. The Israeli military said it struck a "Hamas command centre" in the camp.

Lebanon, Bekaa valley, Sidon

israeli strikes, bekaa valley, lebanon, hezbollah, hussein yaghi, mohamed yaghi, sidon, refugee camp, hamas command, civilian casualties